Bachelor of Social Sciences
in Government and Public Administration
The Bachelor of Social Sciences program in Government and Public Administration at the University of Macau is designed to equip undergraduate students with the analytical skills and substantive knowledge to make sense of the complex workings of political systems. Students are challenged to think critically, to consider political issues from multiple analytical angles, and to cultivate their written and oral communication skills. Graduates of the program have gone on to careers in government, business, education, journalism, and the nonprofit sector. Many have chosen to pursue advanced postgraduate study in a wide range of fields, attesting to the versatility of the degree.
Beginning in their second year, all students must choose one of two “specializations” to concentrate in:
1. Public Administration
The Public Administration Specialization allows undergraduate majors the opportunity to study in depth the theories, history and develop the skills and substantive knowledge for a career in public administration. This curriculum provides a strong foundation for a career in government, NGOs or for further study in law or public administration.
2. International and Public Affairs
The International and Public Affairs Specialization allows undergraduates who are majoring in Government and Public Administration to study in depth the skills, theories and substantive knowledge surrounding global politics.
Programme Intended Learning Outcomes
- Describe the basic operation of government or public institutions, with regard to public administration or international relations.
- Understand and explain essential and comprehensive knowledge in theory, concepts and practice of public policy or in international relations.
- Conduct scholarly analysis in public policy or international affairs critically.
- Communicate effectively with personnel and professionals from public sectors, international organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), and international businesses.
For more information on these specializations, please click on one of the links below.
International and Public Affairs